A Man Ski-Mobiled Onto the Ice and Said.....
After ski-mobiling across a frozen lake, under a pale winter sun, an erudite friend of mine eyed the multitude of portable hockey rinks filled with players and the Pabst Blue Ribbon arch, a beacon in the winter mist. His grown children had finished with skiing and ski-mobiling and they wandered off toward the many vendors for a drink.
"There are 365 things to do in New Hampshire in the winter..... and 3 of them don't include beer," he remarked.
Winter 2014 saw pond hockey turn Meredith Bay into a festival with action-filled hockey rinks. People ski-mobiled, skied or drove around or across the lake to watch. Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer sponsored the event. The Great Meredith Rotary Fishing Derby and the 82nd Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby were other festive events for spectators and competitors. Beer was sometimes present.
Here are a sampling of NH Lakes Region activities in Meredith and it environs in the next few days.
- Alpine skiing (many weekend races open to all)
- snow showing
- cross-country skiing
Ski through April 6th at Gunstock Ski Resort. Call Cannon, Loon, and Waterville for season close dates. (They just keep getting snow!)
(Oh....and...even small family mountain Gunstock Ski Resort has a bar outside the base lodge as of a few weeks ago...so beer is readily available.
- Wine tasting at the Hermit Woods Winery on Main Street 3-6 PM
- 2nd Annual Old School Duel & Retro 80's Day at Cannon Mountain.
- Apres Ski Party in Cannon Mountain Pub.
- Maple Sugar Madness at Prescott Farm 10-3 PM.
- Luau Bike Week Countdown Party with Live Music from 12 to 2 PM at Laconia Harley Davidson. For information call 279-4526.
- Moulton Farm Good Gardening Workshop 10 AM-Noon at Moulton Farm. 279-3915.
- LRSO (Lakes Region Symphony Orchestra) POPS Concert "A Night of Pops" at Inter-Lakes Auditorium at 7:30 pm. Support music! Info: www.LRSO.org.
- Cannon Mtn. Ski Club FSC Race Lafoley SL.
- Jazz Brunch at the Lakehouse Grill, Church Landing, Meredith 9AM-2PM.
- Luau Bike Week Countdown Party with Live Music from 12:00 to 2:00 PM at Laconia Harley. Davidson. For information call 279-4526.
- Wine Tasting at the Hermit Woods Winery, 72 Main St. Meredith. Call for details. 253-7968.